Wednesday, May 20, 2009

They're Still On the Nethermead

In the conversation with the PEP sergeant we reported earlier, he stated that PEP agents had two shifts, 8 A.M.-4 P.M. and 2 P.M.-10 P.M. Apparently not. Perhaps none of the 8 PEP agents in Brooklyn could be spared. Or maybe, though we told him that the Nethermead between 5 and 7 P.M. was prime hunting ground for PEP agents looking to give tickets for illegally off-leash dogs, he was specifically told to stay away. The last one seems likely. See this letter to Tupper Thomas and the video:
Ms. Thomas,

I am writing to you, once again, to complain about the offleash problem on the Nethermead Meadow. This evening I was walking home across the meadow at 6pm. There were at least 10 unleashed dogs on the field and more arriving through the Ravine as I crossed Center Drive. As you know, this is not the first time that I've complained to you about this issue. I find it incomprehensible that the person who is both the head of the Prospect Park Alliance and the Park Administrator for Prospect Park would be unable to solve this problem. Dog owners behave as if there will be no repercussions for ignoring the 9pm to 9am rule, and to be honest, I can see why. I stopped at the Litchfield Villa to file a complaint but was told by the gentleman who answered the door that park enforcement leaves at 5pm. It is bad enough that I can no longer go into the park during the early morning hours because unleashed dogs are in every section of the park, but it seems that the Nethermead Meadow is now no longer available to people who don't want to be harassed by unleashed dogs, as well.

This issue was recently been reported by WABC EyeWitness news. I would have expected that the parks department would immediately act to fix the issue. Apparently not. Please let me know what is going to be done to rectify this out of control problem.

Regards,

1 comment:

Datnioides said...

I walked through the infamous Nethermead at around 8 pm last night with my LEASHED dog. It was still light out and there were many soccer players and other ball players enjoying the evening air. Of course, it wouldn't be a visit to Prospect Park without finding an unleashed dog running loose by the Lullwater fence. I was encouraged to see that the off leash dogs had mainly given way to PEOPLE trying to enjoy the green space that was intended for HUMAN enjoyment, not off leash canine chaos.