Videos of dog hours at Juniper Park in Queens. Observe:
1. Dogs sitting on park benches and wandering around a sidewalk. In fact, the dogs and their owners are effectively blocking the sidewalk for anyone who doesn’t want to dodge unleashed dogs. And, as we’ve pointed out, DOPR policy seems to be, notwithstanding the rule that unleashed dogs must be under their owners’ control, if you go into a “designated area”, you’re on your own. But the benches and sidewalk here are along the park perimeter, outside the “designated area”. As is true in Prospect Park and Central Park, give unleashed dog owners a designated area and they usurp the whole park.
2. The vigorous exercise in which most of the dogs are engaged (not).
3. Dog owners standing around chatting and drinking coffee. All fine and dandy, but why do they deserve their own area, paid for by the taxpayers?
4. The large dogs in the background of one of the videos running around under no discernible control of their owners (not that the small dogs seem to be under the owners’ control).
5. Every person in these videos is white.