Friday, October 23, 2009

Let Sleeping Cops Lie

From Winston Smith:
This morning at 9:30 I was on the road in Prospect Park coming up from the Zoo towards Grand Army Plaza. I was going to take a short cut though the Long Meadow but it still had many off-leash dogs on it. I counted 30 dogs and only 5 were leashed. So I walked around. I am not going to make judgments about these dog owners but I do not want to be in the same area as off-leash dogs.

At the top of the hill there was a marked police car. I was trying to think of a way to get these officers to enforce the law without making them defensive.

However, I did not talk to them. The officer in the drivers seat was fast asleep (snoring) and the one in the passenger seat was busy on his Blackberry.

I guess that is why I had to walk the long way.
The practice is called "cooping" and like most scandals involving NYC employees (corrupt cops, buildings department inspectors, restaurant inspectors), it runs in cycles. Sounds like this one's about due.

And we're not sure why you're not making judgments about the dog owners. It's not the dogs' fault that their owners are inconsiderate scofflaws.

3 comments:

Winston Smith said...

I really don't blame the dog owners. They may or may not know they rules. It is those responsible for enforcement that I have a problem with.

There are so many people who "work" in the park and it is nobody's job to let people know that there are rules.

credo-ny said...

That's silly. Of course they, or almost all of them, know the rules. If they didn't, they wouldn't leash up when they saw cops, and those who do leash up at 9:30 wouldn't even then.

Winston Smith said...

I guess I just don't blame the dog owners. There is not consistent enforcement.